The Baptist World Alliance is a global movement of Baptists sharing a common confession of faith in Jesus Christ bonded together by God’s love to support, encourage and strengthen one another while proclaiming and living the gospel of Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit before a lost and hurting world.
At the 20th Baptist World Congress, meeting July 28-August 1, 2010, in Honolulu, Hawai’i:
- to hear what the Spirit is saying to the church
- to experience the fellowship of the global Baptist family
- to feel the security of being embraced by brothers and sisters from around the globe We heard
- the “Aloha” of the Hawaiian people and experienced their spirit of hospitality
- the vital importance of living and leading in the anointing of the Holy Spirit
- that we must reclaim the urgency of proclaiming a liberating gospel that brings about transformation
- the testimonies of brothers and sisters who have experienced persecution, oppression, marginalization, natural disasters and human-induced disaster
• the challenge to share the power of the gospel of Christ to rescue those living without the hope of Christ
- the beauty of God’s good creation
- diversity in cultural expression, dress and worship styles
- the unity of the global family and the joy of friendship in Christ Now, in step with the Spirit who gives and redeems life in Jesus Christ, we confess anew that all persons are created in the image of God and are therefore worthy of receiving his redemptive grace.
In step with the Spirit, we renew our commitment to:
- communicate, in the power of the Holy Spirit, the truth of God in Jesus Christ as the hope of the world. Because the Spirit of the Lord is upon us, we have been anointed to:
- develop greater familiarity with the teachings of Christ
- cultivate a rich prayer life
- bear witness to the Gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ
- provide examples of godly living reflecting the values taught by the Lord of the church
- support the values reflected in the UN Millennium Development Goals. Because the Spirit of the Lord is upon us, we have been anointed us to:
- remove the scourge of poverty and hunger
- support efforts to provide universal education
- work for environmental sustainability
- promote gender equality
- improve child health and maternal health
- combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- develop global partnerships Enabled by the Spirit, let us commit ourselves to create an environment in which God’s mercy and truth become evident. Let us shine the light of God’s love in every place of human need.
BWA; Creation Care; Discipleship; Diversity; Education; Environment; Evangelism; Gender Equality; Hawai’i; Health; Hunger; Justice; Liberation; Liberty; Mission; Persecution; Poverty; Racism; Unity.
Original Source Bibliography: Callam, Neville, editor. Hear the Spirit: Official Report of the Twentieth Baptist World Congress, Honolulu, Hawai’i, July 28-August 1, 2010. McLean, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2010.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Neville Callam, ed., Hear the Spirit: Official Report of the Twentieth Baptist World Congress, Honolulu, Hawai’i, July 28-August 1, 2010 (McLean, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2010), pp. 23-24.
Online Document Full Citation: 2010 BWA World Congress Message; https://baptistworld.org/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (2010 BWA World Congress Message).