BWA General Council Resolution 1992.6
The General Council of the Baptist World Alliance, meeting in Montego Bay, Jamaica, July 4-12, 1992:
SURROUNDED by the beauty of this part of God’s creation and conscious of the lively heritage of its diverse peoples;
ECHOING the grave concern of the Caribbean Baptist Fellowship for the present economic and sociopolitical realities of the region;
NOTES in particular and with great sorrow —
(1) a growing lack of confidence in the credibility of political leaders, resulting in widespread instability and anxiety,
(2) a desperate struggle for economic survival, with runaway inflation, high unemployment and chronic poverty,
(3) escalating rates of violent crime,
(4) the flight of capital and skills through migration,
(5) rapidly accelerating environmental degradation,
(6) the heavy burdens placed on the poor of both Haiti and Cuba by present trade embargoes,
(7) The implications for all territories in the region of the failure to resolve the tragic crisis in
Haiti, especially with respect of the demands made by the increasing exodus of refugees;
EXPRESSES our practical and loving support for Baptist sisters and brothers and all who seek to incarnate and proclaim the gospel in the midst of such turmoil;
URGES, in the spirit of merciful compassion, the speedy removal of economic sanctions which impact leaders marginally, while devastating the population at large;
CALLS UPON the governments in the Caribbean, as a matter of urgency, to further recent moves towards regional cooperation, enabling a coordinate response to the crises enumerated; and,
SUMMONS Baptists worldwide to call upon the Lord of the exodus to hear again the cries of His suffering people and to deliver them to a free and just future.
Original Source Bibliography: Lotz, Denton, editor. Baptist World Alliance 1992-1993 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. McLean, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 1992.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Denton Lotz, ed., Baptist World Alliance 1992-1993 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (McLean, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 1992), pp. 173-174.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 1992.6 Caribbean; https://o7e.4a3.myftpupload.com/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 1992.6).