BWA General Council Resolution 2013.13
The General Council of the Baptist World Alliance meeting in Ocha Rios, Jamaica, July 1-6, 2013:
BELIEVES that everyone is created in the image of God and so possesses inalienable dignity and value, and that Jesus Christ, who died on the Cross for both women and men, commands us to love one another, as he has loved us (John 13:43);
CONTINUES to affirm with the United Nations the importance of gender equality and women’s empowerment. Unless women are able to maximize the opportunities available, build their capabilities and achieve their full potential, the participation of more than half the population is limited and societies suffer;
- pursue initiatives leading to the achievement of gender equality in societies worldwide;
- contribute to the empowerment of women and the protection of their human rights in all spheres of human endeavor;
- advocate that gender-based violence is a major hindrance to women’s empowerment and gender equality;
- women and represents an abuse of power used to establish male dominance and female submission and so perpetuate gender inequality;
- reject all acts of gender-based violence as being contrary to the laws of God and Christian doctrine:
- support legislation, policies, and action designed to eliminate gender-based violence, and take the lead role wherever this is appropriate;
- encourage churches, governments and NGOs to challenge attitudes and behaviors that devalue people through violence and exploitation, and
- urges churches, governments and NGOs to provide resources:
- to support the survivors of gender-based violence in sensitive and effective ways;
- and to promote interventions to change behavior among perpetrators of gender-based violence.
Original Source Bibliography: Callam, Neville, editor. Baptist World Alliance 2013 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2013.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Neville Callam, ed., Baptist World Alliance 2013 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2013), pp. 147- 148.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 2013.13 Gender Equality and Gender- Based Violence; https://baptistworld.org/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 2013.13).