BWA Executive Committee Resolution 1969-08.2
(Presented by Booth)
Whereas we give thanks to Almighty God for cooperation with other Chris-tian bodies in the areas of translation and Bible distribution and regard this as the evident workings of the Holy Spirit in our age; and,
Whereas Baptists have been noted for their leadership in both the translation and distribution of the Bible since the days of William Carey and Adoniram Judson and more recently in this century through the monumental work of Robert G. Bratcher, noted translator of Good News for Modern Man; and,
Whereas one of the faithful members of the BWA Executive Committee and a pastor of one of our Baptist Churches in Nigeria, Emanual Dahunsi, has been invited to assist in the translation of the Bible into
Be it resolved that members of the BWA Executive Committee will support Bible Societies and their services in the following ways:
1. Increased use of the Bible in study and worship in our local churches.
2. Increased support in North America for the “Five Year Africa Advance,” and its goal to translate the Bible into 35 additional languages.
3. Increased support of the “Bible-a-Month Club” in North America to give a Bible each month to some needy person somewhere in the world.
4. Increased distribution of Today’s English Version of the New Testament in Secondary Schools and Colleges whenever and wherever the opportunity is available to us.
5. Increased support of the Annual “Daily Bible Readings” as a possible means of strengthening the unity of our fellowship as Baptists.
Williams MOVED the adoption of the Resolution. Seconded, and carried.
BWA; Adoniram Judson; Bible Societies; William Carey.
Original Source Bibliography: Nordenhaug, Josef, editor. Baptist World Alliance: Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Committee Held at Baden Bei Wien, Austria August 2-6, 1969. Washington, D.C.: Baptist World Alliance, 1969.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Josef Nordenhaug, ed., Baptist World Alliance: Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Committee Held at Baden Bei Wien, Austria August 2-6, 1969 (Washington, D.C.: Baptist World Alliance, 1969), p. 56.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA Executive Committee Resolution 1969-08.2 Support of Bible Societies; https://baptistworld.org/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA Executive Committee Resolution 1969-08.2).