BWA General Council Resolution 2001.5
The General Council of the Baptist World Alliance meeting in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, July 2-7, 2001
ACKNOWLEDGES previous General Council resolutions concerning the continuing AIDS crisis;
LAMENTS the rapid spread of the HIV/AIDS crisis, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, the devastating impact of this disease on families and communities, and the lack of sufficient economic and medical resources to address its causes, prevention and treatment;
DECLARES that a Christian lifestyle and sexual values including the biblical model of chastity outside of marriage and fidelity within marriage is a significant means of limiting the spread of HIV/AIDS;
REAFFIRMS that regardless of the cause of infection every HIV/AIDS sufferer should have access to appropriate and adequate medical care;
CALLS upon Baptists around the world to:
- pray for all the victims of HIV/AIDS and for those who care for and support them;
- encourage health care workers who address the needs of those suffering from HIV/AIDS;
- support pastors and other ministers who provide spiritual care for the sufferers of HIV/AIDS and their families;
- encourage theological institutions to consider including in their curriculum specialized training for pastors and ministers to provide care for sufferers of HIV/AIDS and their families;
- promote and encourage programs for education, prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS, which are consistent with biblical family values;
- work through churches and communities to respond prayerfully, lovingly and compassionately to HIV/AIDS victims, their families and caregivers;
- advocate funding by governments and other sources for education, prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS;
- demonstrate Christ-like compassion for those impacted by HIV/AIDS; and
URGES Baptists to recognize and address the spiritual needs of those affected by HIV/AIDS.
Original Source Bibliography: Lotz, Denton, editor. Baptist World Alliance 2001 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2001.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Denton Lotz, ed., Baptist World Alliance 2001 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2001), pp. 96-97.
In-text Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 2001.5 Resolution on HIV/AIDS;
https://baptistworld.org/resolutions. In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 2001.5).