Every visitor to South Africa must have a valid passport. Passport holders from more than 80 countries, including USA, Canada, UK, Japan and the EU can visit South Africa without a visa.

Information regarding visas can be obtained from your travel agent or the South Africa Embassy or Consular representative in your area. Passport should have at least 2 completely empty pages otherwise entry may be denied. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after your intended date of departure from South Africa.

Visas cannot be obtained on arrival. More visa information can be obtained from the following site: http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index.php/applying-for-sa-visa . Please check to see if you are required to have an entry visa for South Africa.

The BWA will issue an invitation letter upon registration. It should be understood that a letter of invitation is not a commitment on the part of the organizers to provide any financial support.

*Please note: Only registered participants who have paid their Congress registration fees will be issued an invitation letter.   Please indicate on your form that you need an invitation letter.

To ensure your participation, please apply for your visa with sufficient time before the event.

Travel Advisory

  • Passengers traveling to South Africa must be in possession of a passport with two unused pages required for endorsements. The two unused pages when presented for purposes of endorsing a port of entry visa, visa, permanent residence permit or entry of departure stamp.
  • The passport must be machine readable however, the foreigner may be admitted into or depart from South Africa with a non-machine readable passport provided that:
    • He or she is from a foreign country that is issuing machine readable passports and has not completely phased out the non-machine readable passports; and
    • His or her passport was issued after 24 November 2005 and its date of expiry is before 24 November 2015.

Traveling with Children

Please note that a number of changes have been made to the South African Immigration Act with regard to travelling with children. In brief the following regulations now apply:

  • Any child who is in alternative care as defined in the Children’s Act, shall, before departing from South Africa, produce a certified copy of an authorization letter from the Provincial Head of the Department where the child resided as contemplated in Section 169 of the Children’s Act.
  • An immigration officer shall refuse any person who does not comply permission to depart from South Africa.
  • Where parents are traveling with a child, the parents need to produce an unabridged birth certificate for the child reflecting both parents particulars.
  • Where one parent is traveling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and consent in the form of:
    • an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the child’s birth certificate authorizing him or her to enter into or depart from South Africa with the child.
    • A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child, or
    • Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate.
  • Where a person is traveling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce:
    • A copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child
    • An affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child.
    • Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child and
    • The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.