BWA General Council Resolution 2001.4
The General Council of the Baptist World Alliance meeting in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, July 2-7, 2001
RECALLS with appreciation the interchurch conversations between the BWA and the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (1969-1973), the Lutheran World Federation 1986-1989), the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity (1984-1988), and the Mennonite World Conference (1989-1992);
NOTES the ongoing conversations with the Anglican World Communion;
BELIEVES that these conversations may provide greater understanding among communions that often have limited understanding of each other and, therefore, may not appreciate the richness of the history, theology and practice of their respective traditions; and
ENCOURAGES the continuation of these interchurch conversations in order to:
- enhance the understanding by other Christian communions of Baptist distinctives such as the believers’ church, believers’ baptism, religious liberty, mission and evangelism;
- support Baptists who find themselves oppressed by a dominant Christian communion;
- strengthen the ministry of participating communions by discovering areas of cooperative Christian work;
- search for an expression of the apostolic faith which adequately represents the
- understandings of participating communions; and
- seek to fulfill the plea for spiritual unity in Christ’s prayer “that all may be one…that the world may believe” (John 17:21).
Original Source Bibliography: Lotz, Denton, editor. Baptist World Alliance 2001 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2001.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Denton Lotz, ed., Baptist World Alliance 2001 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2001), pp. 95-96.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 2001.4 Resolution on Conversations between Christian Communions; https://o7e.4a3.myftpupload.com/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 2001.4).