For more than twenty years, the Baptist World Alliance has encouraged Baptist congregations around the world to observe Human Rights Day. The date coincides with the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which was adopted on December 10, 1948.
As Baptists, we are committing ourselves to the cause of human rights in our communities, countries and around the world through prayer, advocacy and representation; repenting of our complicity in human rights abuses through our negligence or participation; committing to giving voice to the voiceless, hope to the hopeless and brokering peace where peace is lacking.
We invite you to join us in this challenge; by using this as a focus for your worship
on December 6/7, 2014!
Our intention is to have the greatest amount of Baptists world-wide observing Human Rights Day as part of their Advent celebration. Please utilize the resources below to shape your own Human Rights Day Worship Service. If your congregation is going to do this, please let our office know so that we can follow up on your worship experience.
- Callam, Neville Human Rights and the Baptist World Alliance Pruit Memorial Symposium, Baylor University
- Global Platform for Theological Reflection (2009) Praying, speaking out and acting together: Theological Reflection on Advocacy Report Manhasset, New York.
- Peck, T. (2011) The Christian Understanding of Human Rights – Difficult Questions: Human Rights – A Baptist PerspectiveCEC Conference – Bad Boll, Germany
- How to Cultivate Your Capacity for Compassion
- Human Rights, Ecological Wisdom Go Hand in Hand
- One Hospital System’s Role to Advance Human Rights
- For Christians, Human Rights Rooted in Our Faith
- Why Christians Need to Take a Stand on Human Rights
- All Baptists Invited to Observe Human Rights Day
We invite you to follow us on Twitter: @TheBWA and/ join our Facebook group: The Baptist World Alliance. There we encourage you to post prayer requests, memories/pictures from past Congress events and receive updates about what the global Baptist family is doing.
To share with us what your church did to celebrate BWA Human Rights Day on Twitter or Facebook: please use the UN handle @UNrightswire and the BWA hashtag #hrday14 . We also encourage you to share/re-Tweet posts that the BWA shares!
By Email: | firstname.lastname@example.org
By Phone: | +1 703 790 8980 ext. 134
By Mail: | Baptist World Alliance 405 N. Washington St., Falls Church, VA 22304